What is discipleship?
It took me years to figure this out. I was saved as an adult, back in 2005, and afterward, I was told to read the Gospel of John and join a Sunday School class. Outside of that, I was left to struggle in my new faith for many years. I would give anything to go back and be discipled.
Discipleship is intentional time spent, in fellowship, in community, centered around God's word to facilitate growth in the faith.
Time and the word and intentionality.
What does it look like?
Modeled after the greatest disciple-maker, Jesus, we...
- proclaim publicly, the good news, in any forum as we gather (Sunday morning worship, Wednesday evening studies, Reformation Recovery).
- invest in small groups (Home Groups) as Jesus invested in the 12.
- create still smaller, more intimate groups (Discipleship Groups) as Jesus did with Peter, James, and John.
Our great desire is to see every member invested in both a Home Group and a Discipleship Group, growing in his or her faith, empowered to serve.
Affirm that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ,
- that I am born-again, having repented of my sin and believed on the Lord Jesus.
- that I have committed my life as a follower of Jesus Christ.
- that I have been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- that as a disciple, I seek to glorify God in living an active life of faith in all that this implies.
Affirm my call to make disciples,
- that salvation is by grace alone through faith in Jesus, that there is no other way.
- that the world stands condemned before a holy and righteous God.
- that God has dispatched His people as ambassadors for Christ.
- that God has entrusted to His people the ministry of reconciliation.
- that I am personally responsible for making disciples of all the nations, starting at home, in my community, and to the ends of the earth, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Affirm my unity with The Way in this call,
- that I understand The Way's statement of beliefs.
- that I seek fellowship with The Way.
- that I will work with the leaders of The Way, in submission to the shared authority of Christ, in accomplishing this mission.
- that I commit my time, resources, prayers, and personal engagement to the ministry of The Way.
- that I will send or be sent.